Monday, February 17, 2020

Trunk of Ifs

One day I was
Thinking about 
Robert Frost
And Joseph Campbell.

Which way to go?
What to do if I could do it again?

What might have taken place
Had I wandered down the other road?

And as those thoughts of
What had happened
Mingled with might have,
I stumbled upon a
Trunk of Ifs.

A vague and distant voice
Muttered, “No one reads
The small print on the lid: 
Open carefully.”

I undid the hinge
And lifted.

Music came from deep
Within the crate. 
A guitar at first
Then joined by violin. 
Then drums.
And soon a bass and keyboard.

My Trunk of Ifs,
In a former life
Had been a juke box?

Or was that
Merely a clue?

I wanted to look
Into the chest
Almost as much
As I was hesitant.

What would I find?
How had I turned out?
Would I be more
Or less happy?

It occurred
That I had arrived
At yet another fork
In my journey’s route;
Another choice
To be made
That, most likely,
Would lead
To a similar container,
Perhaps crammed with hope
And stuffed with maybes.

And as the poem goes,
That made all the difference.











No comments:

Post a Comment