Thursday, August 15, 2019

Seeking Employment


As it happened,
A wandering soul in need of focus
Did what anyone out of work
Would do: He checked the want ads.

Ah ha.

Other World Enterprise
Night Position
(Some fun involved)
Algonquin Hotel
Room 304.
See Mr. O.

Mr. O?

That’s interesting.

At the appointed hour,
He arrived, new suit and shoes,
And a different cut to his hair:
A bit longer than in the past.

A gruff, wheezing matron,
A cross between librarian and prison warden,
Occupied a mammoth desk
With mountains of paper.
She glanced up and barked, “Name?”

“Well, that depends.”

The wheezer grimaced.

“I see. You’re either an idiot or a comic.”

That stung.

“How about both?”

Wheezer muttered, “How about we call you Mr. X?”

“I get it. A chalk talk. Mr. O and Mr X. Get it? Xs and Os!”

Wheezer grimaced again in a different key. Apparently, she had a catalogue.
Some grimaces were brief. Others a bit more Russian novel as in desperate for a paragraph.

“How did you hear about this position?”

“Actually, I read about it in Whaddyagonnado Now?"

“That rag? Surprised we placed an ad there, but as the song says, one man’s ceiling—"

“Is another man’s attic?”

Wheezer’s eyes almost twinkled. For her that was a belly laugh. A real hip shaker. Earth moving. Carol King. The whole bit.

“Previous experience?”

“Yes.”

Yes, what?

“Yes. i’ve had some experience.”

Wheezer snapped a pencil in half.

“Tell me whatever you want," Wheezer said. "Try to amuse me."

“My friends know me as Robin. I love hockey. Well, I did love hockey. I worked in a circus with the animals. One of the magicians said I had potential. I met a wizard who needed an assistant, and he taught me a few spells. I moved to New Orleans and discovered mojo and that snakes are not to be trusted. At one point I thought i fell in love. But it was not to be. She was mortal, and I was far from it. Did some freelance with a band of angels, but I hated the costumes. Worked the Catskills in the after after hours clubs. Worked in advertising. Helped name a soft drink."

Wheezer studied Robin a moment.

"Sprite?"

"Well, it wasn't Tab."

"Ha," Wheezer said. "Good one."

"This is a tough house."

Wheezer shrugged, "Wait till you meet Mr. O."






No comments:

Post a Comment